Thursday, August 28, 2014

My excuses are stupid

Did I go for a walk yesterday at Seahurst Park?  Nope.  This cold sucks and I'm being such a baby about it.  You know why I decided to train for a marathon?  Because I can.  Because I'm physically able to.  My stepmom passed away a couple months ago after a 15 year battle with cancer.  She used to tell me she was so proud of how active I was, and complimenting my "athletic ability."  Ha!  I really don't see myself as having any athletic ability, but she did.  She'd say she wished she could be as active as us and that all she and my dad ever did was go do dinner and a movie.  She was especially proud that we were training for the STP.  She died before we completed it, and I thought of her on that lonely road almost the entire time.  After we finished, my dad cried and hugged us, and told us how proud he was.  

My sister's sister-in-law (or my brother-in-law's sister… however you want to look at it) has had a long battle with leukemia and she's only 24.  We spent the cruise with her and her mom because my dad and stepmom had raised a lot of money so that they could have a much needed vacation.  She met her husband at Children's Hospital and he passed away from his battle with cancer just a few weeks after they married.  I'd never met him, but I was sort of Facebook stalking her after the cruise and I read a post by her mom saying that all he kept saying before he died was that he wished he could run down the street.  She said if you're able to do that, then you're blessed.  This made me cry and really hit home since I feel like I'm doing this for my stepmom who couldn't.  

So here I am with a stupid cold and that's my big excuse not to get out there and run.  I suck.  Get over it.