Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Warrior Dash, Slime Run, and Cycle the Wave

2 weeks and 3 different races.  The Warrior Dash was 2 weeks ago, and then I did the Slime Run, and Cycle the Wave last weekend.

The Warrior Dash was two weeks ago and we lived!  (Update: My hip lived too!  Yoga, foam roller, massage, and chiropractic seemed to do the trick! … although after the Slime Run it's sort of sucking again.)  This is year two doing it down in Oregon and it's so much fun.  (Disgusting, slightly terrifying fun… but still fun.)  It'll be something we do every year for sure!  Last year it was the first Adventure 5K we've ever done.  It kicked off this racing addiction that my BFF and I have.  I remember last year there were people who did the Color Run in the morning, and then the Warrior Dash in the afternoon.  I thought those people were completely out of their mind.  ...Next year I think we're going to be one of those crazy people.  I could do that, no problem!  (Isn't that nuts?!)

The Slime Run was fun but there wasn't as many obstacles as I thought there would be…. and we definitely didn't get as slimy as I was expecting either.  My sister came for this run.  It was her first 5K ever.  I was really proud of her for trying it.  She broke her foot months ago and I'm not sure it's completely done healing.  She also has a leaky heart valve so I spent this "run" walking with her.  I really didn't want her to have a heart attack!

So, two pretty similar events, two weeks in a row.  During the Warrior Dash, I would run ahead of BFF with my husband and a couple of friends, and then we'd wait at the next obstacle for her and her husband.  So it was a lot of stop and go.  And then, like I said, I pretty much walked the whole Slime Run for my sister.

Cycle the Wave was a blast.  It's an all women's cycling event full of flowers, massages, gourmet food, photos of hot men in the port-a-potties...  And my cycling wife always pushes me.  We kicked ass.  We flew by other riders over and over going about 25 mph.  "On your left!  On your left!" During the whole ride, only 4 women passed us (all in matching cycling jerseys, which means they're extra badass).  So we were really proud of ourselves!

So here's what I've been thinking about a lot lately….  To wait, or not to wait?  Do I do these races with friends because it's fun and we laugh a lot, or do I really push myself and see what I'm capable of?  Even though I really didn't plan to do the triathlon all by myself, it ended up being pretty amazing.  It was the first race I've done that was me really working at doing the best I could and pushing my limits.  I want to do that all the time, but I also want to have a fun experience with friends.

I want to do the Tinkerbell Half Marathon along side my BFF, but what if she doesn't train like she's supposed to?  She said last year that she was going to work out like crazy, lose a ton of weight, and kill this year's race.  Did she do that?  Not really.  She definitely started running, but not as much as she could have.  Last year's Warrior Dash I only waited a little bit here and there for her, and helped drag her up the hill.  I was super proud of her.  Over the past year, I've been working to get faster and fitter, and she didn't push as much as I did so there was a much larger fitness gap this year.

So, that's what I'm worried about lately.  (I know you're reading this lady.  Get going!)  Do I do all these races for fun, or see what I can do?