Friday, July 10, 2015

STP Prep!

Getting ready to ride my bike to Portland this weekend for the second time on the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic!  Last year we did all 204 miles in one day but I decided that if I was going to do it again, I wanted to enjoy the ride and the party and do it in two days.  

Husband, BFF's husband, and their friend are still going to do it in one day.  VK Sista' and I are doing it in two.  We're leaving straight from our house in the morning instead of starting at the start line.  (So much less stress that way!)  We have a hotel booked at the 140 mile mark so we're going further than halfway the first day.  It'll make day 2 super easy.  

We rode from my work in Tukwila to REI for packet pick up on Wednesday.  They were taking fun pictures...
  

VK Sista's unsafe selfie



I'm still freaked out being on my bike which is really weird since I did the Flying Wheels just fine.  I think it's the difference between doing a small ride on our own vs a big supported ride.  I can see far out in front of me that there are tons of cyclists who didn't run into phantom trolley tracks that might jump out of nowhere.  That's my theory anyway.  They made it, I'll make it too.  So hopefully when we reach the first stop tomorrow, I'll be out of my head, turning on my music and enjoying the ride.  

Packing for the weekend was crazy.  We packed our car with everything we need at the halfway point.  Husband and I took the day off, packed up a bag for the kids and our dog, and took them to grandma's.  Then drove two cars down to Kelso to drop off one car at our hotel.   It took us all day long with traffic but it'll be so nice to be able to get in our own car to head home and not hop on a bus like most people do on this ride.  The plan is that VK Sista' and I will get to our hotel around dinner time, shower, and get some food with BFF who will be down there to pick up the boys.  She'll give Husband a ride back to our hotel for the night.  And then VK Sista' and I will be up bright and early to do the last 60 miles, and Husband gets to sleep in and head down to pick us up around lunch time.  Then it's beer garden time!  Hopefully this all goes off without a hitch!
The car all packed for the halfway point.  (Not the yoga mat, that just lives in my trunk)
Our car is waiting for us!


And then came the task of packing up our bike bags for day 1.  Here is everything laid out before I packed it.  AdvoCare Spark and Rehydrate, a Fres Bar, beef jerky, a little cash, an Anker charger for my phone, my iPod and a speaker, gels, almond m&m's (yum!), blocks, bars, waffles, every medication known to man, AdvoCare Catalyst, sunscreen, chamois butter, and an extra pair of contacts.  :)  Think I have enough?  


It all fits in this bag on my handlebars....




We had a spaghetti dinner at home, showered, and laid everything out for tomorrow morning.  The alarm is going off in less than 6 hours so I better head to bed!