Monday, November 23, 2015

VEGAS BABY!

Had an amazing time at the Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Las Vegas!  Husband and I landed on Saturday morning, took a cab to our hotel, dropped off our bags, and went straight to the expo. 

Yep.  Kind of a big deal to shut down the strip for 14 hours!
 
It was huge and amazing and we spent way too much money.  Husband bought a new Garmin watch and new headphones.  I bought some new compression socks, a Vegas Half hoodie, and some casual black Altra shoes that were on clearance and just happened to be my size.  Figure it was meant to be!  After walking around half the day with my cousin, her boyfriend, and new awesome facebook runner friend, we went back to our hotel (it's just right next door) checked in, changed into our running gear, grabbed a quick sandwich while we walked back to the convention center for the Run Through Wedding information meeting.  We were re-assigned corrals for Sunday night's race so that all of the couples being married or re-married ended up at mile 3 at the same time.  And then we started the long walk (longer than we thought) to the 5K start line near the SLS. 
 
Husband and me at the 5K start line
My cousin and me at the 5K start line with awesome free giant glow sticks.
Some women behind us at the start corral gave us a beer.  Ha.
Finished!

I just concentrated on my foot and my calf and ran the whole thing.  I don't think I said a word to my husband the entire 5K.  I really didn't enjoy it as much as I usually enjoy a quick fun 5K.  But I was proud that I finished and my foot/calf did a LOT better than I thought they would.  It was a relief and it made me feel better about the half.  After the 5K, we went to Guy Fieri's restaurant to have burgers with cousin and her boyfriend.  Freaking yum.

Sunday we slept in as long as possible, went downstairs for the brunch buffet, and then got dressed for the half.  I KT Taped the heck out of my foot and wore my new compression socks AND my plantar sleeve...


We took the monorail down to the MGM and walked to the start line festival to see Kid Rock play.  It was pretty fun.  He said that this was the healthiest group he's ever performed for!
Start line festival with Kid Rock performing behind us.
 Cell phone service barely worked down there.  Too many thousands of people all trying to text and call at once I guess so it was impossible to find my cousin, new facebook friend, and cheetah.  But I finally found cheetah! 
Me and Cheetah
And I found my cousin in our start corral.  (We gave her a wedding guest wrist band so she could start in our corral)
Me and Cousin
We found some runaway brides.
Elvis!!!
Lots of photo opportunities to stop for!
Many bands along the race route.
Strip at night!
Run through wedding....
Renewing our vows at mile 3 at the Monte Carlo with 194 other couples.
 
You may kiss the bride... again!
Woo!  Now keep running!
Ooh!  It's the Pawn Stars pawn shop!  We don't need a taxi to get here!  We ran here from Mandalay Bay!
Cardboard cutout selfie...
We weren't the only crazy people to pause their run to look around.
Downtown Las Vegas
Downtown Las Vegas Selfie
Almost back!
Really awesome lights at the finish line.
Done!  3 medals total for the weekend!  5K, Half Marathon, and a "Remix" medal for doing both races!


We spent a lot of the race walking.  My foot hurt, and my husband's heel was killing him.  But we also took a lot of photos, goofed off, and had a lot of fun. 
 
On Monday morning we got up and started doing what you're supposed to do in Vegas.... drink!  (Enough with the healthy Vegas trip already!)  We went to the "5 o'clock somewhere bar" at Margaritaville and ordered margaritas at like 11am and walked around with them.



We booked lunch at Gordon Ramsey's bar and grill and ended up with our own private room to celebrate our weekend!
(clockwise) Husband, me, cousin, her bf, new facebook friend, cheetah's mil, cheetah, cheetah's wife.
And all of us for one last awesome photo before heading to the airport.

So this was definitely one of the most fun race weekends ever.  Hope to do it again next year!