Saturday, January 10, 2015

Week 3 Day 2.... weights at the gym... and some yoga.

I met my cycling wife (and Vanderkitten sista'… which I might start referring to her instead) at the gym for some ass kickin' on Thursday.  So instead of running with the dog in the morning, I figured I'd just do my run on the treadmill.  I set my new Garmin to start and I jogged (almost) happily along, chatting the whole time at what ended up being an 11:33 pace.  I was sweating like a pig but otherwise totally fine.  15 minutes into my run, childcare came out and told me I had to change my daughter's poopy diaper.  So I paused my Garmin, ran in there, changed her, jumped back on the treadmill 4 minutes later and hit resume.  Well, at the end of the run, it posted to Garmin Connect with those 4 minutes taken out, but when it linked to Strava, it just showed I was basically standing still for those 4 minutes and it made my pace look like I sucked.  It really bugs me that when you pause your Garmin, Strava apparently doesn't know it.  Sometimes moms have to pause!  I had to delete my run and enter it back in manually.  Super disappointed.  I even wrote them on the help forum and didn't hear anything.

Anyway…  Spent a bit at the gym after doing a lot of planks, lunges, and wall sits… and laughing.  Good times!

And then yesterday I took a yoga class at the new gym that just opened up a mile from my house.  (Really excited it finally opened)  My goal is to take a yoga class at least once a week (probably Friday morning).  It's so great for stretching.  I love yoga but I really hate looking at myself in the mirror compared to everyone else in the room.  (Still have fat girl syndrome, remember?)

I'm hoping yoga helps save my back since it feels like it's on the verge of snapping lately (and with the chronic disc issues I have, it probably is.)  Last Saturday after the 4 mile run with BFF, I was standing at Starbucks waiting for my coffee and tilted sideways to lean on the counter and my back tweaked and sent shooting pains straight through me.  I stood there super casually, dying inside, waiting for my coffee until I thought it was safe to move again.  And then on Thursday in between wall sits, it did it again.  I saw stars.  It killed.  I stood there super still until it went away.  Vanderkitten sista' called me Tin Man since I said I was stuck and couldn't move.  So I started squeaking "Oil can!'  Oh man I definitely need an internal vertebral oil can or something.  I'm going to try to be better about taking my AdvoCare Joint Promotion.  Hopefully between that and yoga, it'll start feeling better.  I'm really surprised it hasn't "gone out" and sent me to the floor yet though since it does that maybe twice a year.

Oh, and I almost forgot… Vanderkitten sista' took a sweaty selfie of us to put on the Vanderkitten group page and she wanted to get Ophelia (the cat on her jersey) in the photo so she took the selfie from a low position.  I was thinking, "Ugh, this is going to be the worst selfie ever."  Surprisingly, I have no double chin and actually look pretty good!  (I mean, besides the sweat and frizzy hair.)  I wonder when I'll be cured from my fat girl syndrome.


And one last thing… I really liked my horoscope yesterday.  Marathon here I come! :