Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 5 Day 3 ~5K on a track

I decided I wanted to try to run my 3 miles alone on a track today.  No dog, no friends, just me and my music.  (Sometime I need to post my playlist.  Good music is sooooo important for running!)  I thought a track would be the perfect place to see how fast I could go.  I went down to the high school track because I thought it would be nice and squishy but there was a soccer game going on so I tried the middle school.  There's a track, and it's flat, but it's made of packed gravel...


Well, better than nothing.  There was one other guy out there jogging and he said, "Good morning!" as he passed by when I was getting my jacket, phone, headphones, and watch ready.  By the time I was ready, he was halfway across the track and I decided it would be my goal to try to lap him.  So, off I went.  I totally lapped him… twice!  I also lapped another girl who showed up halfway through!  I ran for 2 miles without stopping and then I grabbed my water and power-walked a lap.  (Each lap was about .23 of a mile according to my watch.)  Then I ran the rest of the last mile.  My goal was to finish my 5K in 34 minutes because I THINK that was my fastest 5K time to date at the Fiesta 5K Ole last year but VK Sista' swears it was 35 something.  Well, I ended up finishing 3.1 miles in 35:29.  11:48 pace.  So, not quite as fast as I wanted but pretty darn close!  I was super excited!  It's fun to think that I just do quick and easy 5K's on the weekends when a 5K used to seem like a REALLY long way!  I remember my husband was making fun of me last year when I said I wanted to sign up for a 5K a month.  He thought I was crazy.  Ha!  Look how far I've come in less than a year!  :)


After run selfie